You may register to vote in Craven County if you are a citizen of the United States,18 years of age or older by the date of the general election, and a legal resident of Craven County for 30 days or more by the date of the election. A voter card will be mailed to all new voters and to voters making updates/changes to their voter record. Please keep your voter card, unless you are making changes.
Registration forms are also available at public libraries, the Board of Elections Office, in the "Documents" section on the right side of this page, and online. Registration and voter updates may be completed at the Department of Motor Vehicles while obtaining or renewing a driver's license.
Once registered, a person is able to vote in the precinct in which they are registered and have lived for more than 30 days, until such time they move out of that precinct. Persons moving within the county may make changes on their voter card or on the Voter Registration/Change/Update form in the English version Opens a New Window. or Spanish version Opens a New Window. .
Voter Registration Drive
The voter registration deadline is 25 days prior to a given election.
- Voter registration deadline for the May 8, 2018 Primary Election is Friday, April 13, 2018 at 5 p.m.
- Voter registration deadline for the November 6, 2018 General Election was extended and is Monday, October 15, 2018 at 5 p.m.
Same Day Registration During One-Stop (Early Voting)
- Persons who are not registered in a county may register at one-stop (early voting) sites during the early voting period. Upon completion of registration, the newly-registered voter can immediately vote at that same one-stop site. This process is known as same-day registration. Same-day registrants must attest to their eligibility and provide proof of residence. A voter attests to his/her eligibility by completing a Voter Registration Application and affixing his/her signature. Knowingly attesting to false information is a Class One felony. After the voter's attestation, he/she must prove his/her residence by presenting any one of the following showing his/her current name and current address:
- North Carolina driver license, or
- Other photo identification issued by a government agency. Any government-issued photo ID is acceptable, so long as the card bears the voter's current name and current address, or
- A copy of a current utility bill, bank statement, government check, paycheck, or other government document showing the voter’s name and address, or
- A current college/university photo identification card paired with proof of campus habitation.
- Within two business days of the person’s registration, the county Board of Elections will verify the registrant’s driver license or social security number, update the voter registration database, search for possible duplicate registrations, and proceed to verify the registrant’s address by mail. The registrant’s vote will be counted unless the county Board of Elections determines that he or she is not qualified to vote.
Your ballot may be different from your neighbor's because ballots are specific to your residence address and the jurisdictions associated with your residence address.
Click SAMPLE BALLOTS Sample Ballots Version Options Voter Information Headline Sample Ballots Version Options Voter Information Headline Opens a New Window. Version Options Voter Information Headline Version Options Voter Information Headline to view your specific sample ballot. When accessing the link, you will need to:
- Provide your First Name, Last Name, and Year of Birth.
- Select "Craven" under County.
- Select your name from the search results.
- Go to "Sample Ballots" in the Election Date row and click on the ballot number starting with "G."
if a situation requires that you vote a provisional ballot, you can see the determination of your provisional vote online using the tracking number provided on the information sheet given to you at the time of the provisional vote. Provisional results may not be available until after the canvass of the election, which is 7 to 10 days after the election.