Marriage License Requirements / Online Application
Marriage License Requirements
- If both parties are age 21 or over, each must have a valid (not expired) government issued ID (driver's license, state issued ID, passport, etc.), and their social security cards. If the original social security cards are not available, an official document such as a current W-2 or other type of current tax form or banking form may be presented. Military IDs will no longer be accepted due to the change over from social security numbers to the new Department of Defense issued numbers.
- If either party is between the ages of 18 to 21, they must also present a certified copy of their birth certificate, unless they were born in Craven County.
- If either party is under the age of 18, they should call our office at 252-636-6617 for more details.
- If either party has ever been divorced, they must present a filed or certified copy of their final divorce judgment. If either party has been widowed within the last 6 months preceding the date of application, they must present a copy of the death certificate of deceased spouse.
- Prior to completing the marriage license application, parties will need to know their parents' full names including mother's maiden name, state of birth, and current address (if possible).
- Marriage licenses are good for 60 days and there is no waiting period after issuance.
- License fee is $60 - no refunds
Make an Appointment
Marriage licenses are issued between the hours of 8 a.m. and 4:30 p.m., Monday through Friday, with the exception of holidays. The couple must appear together, in person, between those hours. The Register of Deeds office will issue Marriage Licenses involving Affidavits in Lieu of Personal Appearance by appointment only between the hours of 8:30 a.m. and 11 a.m. Please call the office to make an appointment.
Please note: After the marriage ceremony, both copies of the license are to be returned to this office. After they are received, either party may come and purchase a certified copy of the license for $10 cash, or request one online using Get Certificate Now with your credit/debit card. ID Required.
Online Marriage Application
The marriage license application can now be completed and submitted online using the link below. All above requirements apply. Once the application is completed, you must hit the submit button at the bottom of the application. At that point, the application will transfer to the Register of Deeds Office where both parties will come to complete the license process within 3 business days of submission. The application will be deleted after three days if the license has not been completed.
Here are some helpful hints:
- Abbreviations in proper names are not accepted (please completely spell all names).
- The mother's information on the application must be the mother's maiden name.
- Any box with a drop down menu can only be answered with that menu.
- The education section of the application is asking for the number of years completed at that level.
- Example: If you have completed 4 years of high school, you would put a 4. If you have completed 2 years of college, you would put a 2.
Fill out and submit a Marriage Application to the Register of Deeds office.