Clean Sweep Program
It is the mission of the Clean Sweep Program to :
- Eliminate littering and to promote solid waste reduction, reuse, and recycling through education and ordinance enforcement,
- Encourage citizens of Craven County to implement sound waste disposal practices through education and special events such as Big Sweep, and
- Obtain updated litter and solid waste control ordinances and work with Solid Waste and the local law enforcement agencies to see effective enforcement of all pertinent ordinances and laws.
- Jami Hooper - Interim Chairwoman
- Tom Glasgow - Treasurer
- Mailene Hollar - Secretary
- Pat Sager
- Peggy Broadway
- Joan Campbell
- Steven Aster
- Billy Wilkes
- Judi Lloyd
- Barbara Smith
- David Cox
- Roberta Randall
- Julie Thompson
- Michael Swain
***May 7th Event will meet at New Bern Riverfront Convention Center due to early voting- 5/3/2022 update
On the Saturday of the event, Clean Sweep Committee Members will be set up at the Craven County Administration building, 406 Craven Street, New Bern, in the side parking lot next to the Shriners Temple from 9:00am until 9:30am. Volunteers can stop by to pick up supplies and a place to clean. Once Volunteers have completed their clean up, we ask that they leave the bags of trash on the roadside where they cleaned. Volunteers are asked to note the number of bags and location so that a Committee Member can notify NCDOT for disposal.
Some events have an additional meeting place in Havelock. That location is the parking lot of Havelock City Hall at 8:30am until 9:00am. Please call ahead to make sure the event you wish to attend will have the Havelock location as an option.
Volunteers can also call ahead for supplies.
Spotlight - Clean Business of the Month
July's Craven County Business of the Month has been awarded to Home Place of New Bern. Mistey Lewis is the Executive Director of both Home Place and McCarthy Court Retirement Communities. With over 100 employees and 160 residents, it is amazing how beautifully the buildings and properties are kept up! Maintenance Director, Breck Neer and his associate, James Sireci do a spectacular job.
Photo: Mistey Lewis, Executive Director and Pat Sager, Craven County Clean Sweep