Animal Protective Services

Animal Abuse 

All animals deserve caring and humane treatment. Both local and state laws help to ensure animals are treated humanely and free from any unjustifiable pain and suffering. Animal Control Officers and local law enforcement officers are tasked with the duty of ensuring that Craven County animals: 

  • Are provided adequate food and water 

  • Are treated in a manner that does not subject them to pain, suffering, or death 

  • Are not confined in a motor vehicle during times of extreme heat or cold 

If you witness or suspect any inhumane treatment, please do not hesitate to report it immediately.

 Reporting Strays 

Report problem strays to us immediately. Take note of whether the animals are coming from a nearby house or are unowned. Be certain to get a good description of the animal and where it is. Please remember, Animal Control Officers can not patrol every neighborhood every day; so call us when the animal is in the area or confined. To report problem strays, please call the Animal Protective Services 

Trapping Nuisance Animals
APS will humanely trap stray dogs and cats upon request. APS Officers may set traps only on private property and only after receiving written permission from the property owner or renter.

Requesting Animal Traps 

Traps for dogs and cats are set at the discretion of APS and are on an "as available" basis. A waiting period normally applies due to demand & limited shelter space.  Citizens may request traps by calling 252-639-4256 


Dangerous Dog Ordinance 

Aggressive dogs are a public health threat, and APS is responsible for ensuring that dogs are not posing a  threat to public safety. If you are having a problem with an aggressive dog, please call the APS to report the issue. North Carolina Law Requiring Reports 

North Carolina law NCGS 130A-196 requires that all animal bites be reported to the local Health Department, even if you are bitten by your own pet, have declined to see a health care provider, or felt the bite was an accident. If you have any questions regarding animal bites or rabies, contact the CCSO APS. Public health is everyone's responsibility, and you are the public.