Frequently Asked Questions

The Register of Deeds office accepts cash or money orders only. Credit cards, debit cards, or personal checks are not accepted. There is a Cash Points automated teller machine (ATM) in the parking lot next to the Register of Deeds office.


Where do I park?

There is a public parking lot directly beside the Register of Deeds Office and Tax Office Building at 226 Pollock Street in New Bern, NC.

Can anyone access the information contained in the Register of Deeds Office?

Yes.  All information in our Office is public record.

What steps do I take to get married?

First, you must acquire a marriage license at a Register of Deeds Office in North Carolina. The license is valid for sixty days. The license will expire if the parties do not marry within sixty days. A religious officiate or a magistrate may perform the ceremony. For more information on obtaining a marriage license, click here.

Once I have obtained a marriage license, to whom do I speak about arranging a civil ceremony?

For information regarding this, please contact a Magistrate in the Craven County Courthouse by dialing (252) 639-9015 or, the Havelock Magistrate Office by dialing (252) 447-3940.

Can I obtain a copy of a birth certificate from your Office?

Copies of all vital records (births, deaths, and marriages) that occur in Craven County are available from the Register of Deeds Office. In order to receive a certified copy, you must be a member of the immediate family of the person whose record you wish to obtain. "Immediate family" is defined as spouse, child/stepchild, sister/brother, mother/father/stepparent, grandchild/great grandchild, or grandparent/great grandparent. If requesting copies by mail, please enclose a stamped, self-addressed envelope. A photo copy of state issued I.D. or driver's license of the person applying for the birth certificate copy must accompany the request.

The cost of all certified copies of vital records is $10.00 per copy, or $.25 per uncertified copy.

How do I obtain a copy of my marriage license?

If your marriage took place in Craven County prior to October 1, 2001, you may request a copy by mail or in person. On or after October 1, 2001, contact the county in which the licensed was issued. Copies are available ten days after the wedding ceremony, provided that the person who officiated at the ceremony has returned the license. To process the request, you must provide the name of bride and groom and the date of the marriage. A certified copy of a marriage license is $10.00. If requesting by mail, please enclose a stamped, self-addressed envelope. A photo copy of state issued I.D. or driver's license of the person applying for the marriage license copy must accompany the request.

How do I obtain a copy of my deed?

The Register of Deeds Office will provide a copy of your deed at $1.00 first page and .25 per each additional page. If you know the book and page number of the deed, you may request it by mail. Be sure to enclose a stamped, self-addressed envelope for mail requests.

How do I obtain a copy of my divorce?

The Register of Deeds Office does not maintain divorce records. If the divorce was processed in Craven County, you may wish to contact the Clerk of Courts Office.

How do I file separation papers?

The Register of Deeds Office does not provide legal advice; it is advisable to see an attorney to draw up the proper papers. If real estate is involved, the papers must be filed in our Office.

Can the Register of Deeds tell me who owns property at a specific address?

No. Property ownership information is provided by the Craven County Tax Department.

Does the Register of Deeds provide assistance with genealogy research?

No. For assistance with genealogy questions, please write to the Craven County Genealogical Society at the following address:

Craven County Genealogical Society of North Carolina, Inc.
P O Box 1344
New Bern NC 28563-1344


Emergency Notification Signup