Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

How do I apply for WIC?
Applying for WIC is simple. You can call ahead to begin the process, walk-in to our New Bern office, or active duty military and/or their spouse can walk-in to our Cherry Point office to apply. Depending on the availability, you may be seen that day to be added, or given an appointment to return within a couple of days to complete the application process with the nutritionist.

How do I add my new baby?
You will need an appointment in order to add your new baby to WIC, and get your updated food package. To ensure you get in as soon as possible after delivery, call at your earliest convenience, and tell us when you will be available to come in. You need to bring your infant to this appointment. The staff will take all of your new baby information, including name, birth date, length, and weight. When you come in for the appointment, your baby will be added to the program, and you will receive an updated food package and postpartum/new baby nutrition education. See the "About Your Appointment" section to access the new baby add form. This will tell you what to bring, and who to call after you have your baby.

How long will I have to wait to get in for an appointment?
Our appointments at the New Bern office are same, or next day availability. MCAS Cherry Point appointments are within one to three days, depending on the appointment type.

How long will my appointment take?
Depending on the type of appointment and schedule, it could last over an hour. If you just need to pick up your vouchers, it should take less than 30 minutes. If you are adding a new baby, new child, or yourself to the program, it will be a longer appointment. To help shorten the number of stops you have to make, bring a copy of your child's most recent measurements from the doctor. If they are less than 2 months old, we can use them to avoid having to measure your child.

What do I need to bring to my appointment?
This depends on the appointment. If you are coming to be added to the program, or a recertification appointment you will need to bring:

  • Your child
  • ID for you and your child (for the child, it can be a shot record, social security card, or insurance card)
  • Proof of residence (can be a bill or your drivers license)
  • Proof of income (Medicaid card, paycheck stubs)

If you are coming to pick up vouchers only, you will need your WIC booklet and your ID. You will not need to bring your child. If you are unsure what type of appointment you have, call us and we will verify it for you.

Do I need to bring my child to every WIC appointment?
No. We need to see your child for their certification, and recertification appointments. If you are unsure if that is the appointment you have coming up, call us and we will tell you whether or not you need to bring your child.

What are the income guidelines?
Income is determined by the total household gross income, not just the income of the parent. There are several factors counting toward income, so if you are unsure whether or not you will qualify, please stop by and we will determine whether you are eligible. The guidelines can be found on the NC WIC website.

What formulas does WIC provide?
WIC strongly encourages moms to breastfeed, however, some moms choose not, or cannot breastfeed. In these circumstances, WIC provides infant formulas. We have milk and soy based formulas that do not require prescriptions. If your child cannot tolerate our contract formulas, we do provide alternative and specialty formulas with a prescription from your baby's doctor. If your baby's doctor feels they need a different formula, they need to complete our WIC prescription form. Craven County pediatricians have copies of these forms. If you would like a copy to take with you to the doctor, stop by our office, and we will give you one to take with you.

Do I have to be a Craven County resident?
No. We do take participants from surrounding counties, however, please be aware that all surrounding counties do have a WIC office, and we strongly encourage you go there to receive WIC.

Which stores can I visit to use my WIC vouchers?
New Bern:
Food Lion on Glenburnie Rd.
Food Lion on Martin Luther King, Jr. Blvd.
Piggly Wiggly on Simmons St.
Piggly Wiggly on Tatum Dr.
Harris Teeter
Broad Mini Mart
Food Lion in James City

Cove City:

Food Lion

Food Lion

MCAS Cherry Point Commissary
Food Lion on Main St.
Food Lion in Greenfield Heights Shopping Center


Emergency Notification Signup